Brief History of the Middletown Free Library
Founded in 1956, through the initial efforts of Mrs. Philip Sanders, the MFL started as a small book bus carrying 1500 volumes for circulation to a grateful community. Moving to the 1811 Weathers’ home on Pennell Road in 1959, the Middletown Free Library continued to grow.
The library was expanded in 1962, and again in 1971 to accommodate the needs of the community. The Library has grown and changed with the times. Moving into the digital age in the 80’s and 90’s, we have a growing digital circulation and access to the county-wide Library system, Delaware County Library System (DCLS).
The Friends of Middletown Free Library have been financially supporting the Library for almost 50 years. With the support of its “Friends” the Middletown Free Library functions as a resource, education, activity and, not least of all, a community center, offering many programs for patrons of all ages and strives to provide the highest level of service and resources to all its patrons.
Sixty-four years after its start, the Middletown Free Library is in the midst of a Monumental Move to the Roosevelt Community Center to meet the expansive needs of our patrons.