The Middletown Free Library’s Friends
“I get by with a little help from my friends.” John Lennon
The Friends of the Middletown Free Library are fun, friendly residents of the community who value our library through their membership, spare time and creative energy.
The Friends provide many of the “extras” that make your visit to the Middletown Free
Library so pleasant. Here are just some of the projects we’ve sponsored in 2010:
- • Fully funded the Summer Reading Program which attracted nearly 500 children.
- • Purchased an amazing interactive computer for the Children’s Library called an Early Learning Station which is able to teach a variety of subjects including math,
science, vocabulary and more to kids from toddlers to tweens.
- • Sponsored previous Children’s Program, “Global Tots”.
- • Bought toys for the enjoyment of the young patrons of the weekly story hour and
Legos for the Lego Club.
- • Updated the Friends’ Book Bin, including the installation of modern shelving and alphabetizing of the hard-cover fiction volumes to make it easier to find favorite authors.
- • Improved the working environment for the Library’s staff through the purchase of blinds for the Children’s Librarian and new shelving behind the front desk.
- • Helped to pay for new shelving in the main part of the library that holds the Large
Print Books, making them more accessible to the library’s adult readers.
- • Sponsored two very popular adult programs: the Spring Opera series and the Fall Civil War seminars.
- • Held the first Members Appreciation reception which featured refreshments, door prizes, and special offerings in the Book Bin.
None of this would have been possible without the generosity of our loyal Members and the public’s support of our ever-changing Book Bin, where most of the used books, CDs, VHS tapes and DVDs can be had for suggested donations of just 25 cents to $2.00. Next time you are at the MFL, make your way to the lower level and experience it for yourself. And while you’re there, grab a brochure and become a member of the Friends.
Friends of the MFL Board of Directors include:
Barbara Sunner, President
Carla Payne, Vice President
Bea Price, Treasurer
Anita Coward, Book Sale
Genevieve Hamilton, Liaison to Board
Lori Tyson, Membership
The Friends Board meets on the 4th Monday of every month except June and July at 6:15 PM – everyone is welcome!.